Education Director: Danika Woods
- 2022-23 WTCS Traffic Safety Course Fees Memorandum
- Wisconsin Department of Motor Vehicle (DMV) Traffic Safety Course Page
- Wisconsin Legislature: Chapter Trans 106 – Certification of Traffic Safety Programs and Instructors
- Wisconsin Traffic Safety School Advisory Council Contacts:
- WTCS Traffic Safety Programs Teams Group
- Access to this Team must be requested; access limited to current WTCS Traffic Safety Program coordinators, administrators, faculty and support staff at WTCS colleges. Team Administrator: Danika Woods
The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) and the Wisconsin Technical College System administer traffic safety courses that enable drivers to reduce demerit points assessed against their driving privilege. These courses include:
- Traffic Safety: This points-reduction course reviews basic safe defensive driving concepts and may be attended by anyone.
- Group Dynamics: This course is generally for drivers who have been convicted of a first-time operating while intoxicated (OWI) charge.
- Multiple Offender: This course is generally for drivers who have been convicted of a second OWI charge.
Traffic Safety Course Enrollment
All traffic safety courses are offered face-to-face ONLY and must be completed at the Wisconsin technical college in your district. These courses are not offered online, and online third-party provider course certification cannot be accepted in lieu of WTCS traffic safety course completion.
To enroll in a traffic safety course, contact the technical college in your area (information provided below). A map of all Wisconsin technical colleges, including branch campuses, is located on the public-facing wtcsystem.edu website. Courses will all have a catalog number in the XX-818-XXX or XX-812-XXX format.
|Appleton||Fox Valley Technical College (FVTC)||(920) 735-5628|
|Ashland||Northwood Technical College (Formerly Wisconsin Indianhead Technical College – WITC)||(715) 682-4591 Ext. 3112 or (800) 243-9482 Ext. 3112|
|Cleveland||Lakeshore Technical College (LTC)||(920) 693-1178 or (888) 468-6582 Ext. 1178|
|Eau Claire||Chippewa Valley Technical College (CVTC)||(715) 833-6200|
|Fennimore||Southwest Wisconsin Technical College (SWTC)||(608) 822-2700 or (800) 362-3322 Ext. 2700|
|Fond du Lac||Moraine Park Technical College (MPTC)||(920) 924-3207 or (800) 472-4554 Ext. 3207|
|Green Bay||Northeast Wisconsin Technical College (NWTC)||(920) 498-5526 or (800) 422-6982 Ext. 5526|
|Janesville||Blackhawk Technical College (BTC) (Search by Topic Area “GroupDynamicTrafficSafety(818)”)||(608) 757-7630 or (800) 498-1282 Ext. 7630|
|La Crosse||Western Technical College (WTC)||(608) 789-4769 or (800) 322-9982 Ext. 4769|
|Madison||Madison Area Technical College (Madison College)||(608) 258-2450 or (800) 322-6282 Ext. 2450|
|Milwaukee||Milwaukee Area Technical College (MATC)||(414) 297-6235|
|New Richmond||Northwood Technical College (Formerly Wisconsin Indianhead Technical College – WITC)||(715) 246-6561 Ext. 4212 or (800) 243-9482 Ext. 4212|
|Racine||Gateway Technical College (GTC)||(262) 619-6848|
|Rhinelander||Nicolet Area Technical College (Nicolet College)||(715) 365-4641 or (800) 544-3039 Ext. 4641|
|Rice Lake||Northwood Technical College (Formerly Wisconsin Indianhead Technical College – WITC)||(715) 234-7082 Ext. 5230 or (800) 243-9482 Ext. 5230|
|Superior||Northwood Technical College (Formerly Wisconsin Indianhead Technical College – WITC)||(715) 394-6677 Ext. 6212 or (800) 243-9482 Ext. 6212|
|Waukesha||Waukesha County Technical College (WCTC) (Scroll down to Motorcycle/Traffic Safety Courses)||(262) 695-6510|
|Wausau||Northcentral Technical College (NTC)||(715) 803-1521 or (888) 682-7144 Ext. 1521|
|Wisconsin Rapids||Mid-State Technical College (MSTC) (Search course catalog for “Group Dynamics,” “Multiple Offend” or “Traffic Safety”)||(715) 422-5474|
Traffic Safety Course Expectations
- Registration: Participants must register and pay course fee within 3 business days of alcohol assessment to remain in compliance with driving privileges.
- Attendance: Participants must attend all 21 hours.
- Abstinence during the course: Abstaining from alcoholic beverages and other drugs, with the exception of prescription drugs, is strongly recommended during the course.
- Sobriety in class: Anyone who uses alcohol/drugs prior to the class meeting will not be allowed to participate. That individual will be referred back to the assessment agency for further evaluation.
Convictions that require successful completion of a Traffic Safety course:
- Assessment agencies refer convicted drivers of an OWI who are ordered to take Group Dynamics or Multiple Offender Program to the providing school or agency in their area.
- Drivers who take a traffic safety course may elect to have their demerit points reduced by three after successful completion of the course.
- If you are already suspended for accumulating too many points, and your point total is 12, 13 or 14 points, your suspension may be released.
- Drivers may only have their points reduced once every three years.
- The student has 30 days from completion of the course to notify WisDOT of any change in their request for point reduction.
- Classes are held during the day, evenings and weekends in most areas in an attempt to allow students to complete the classes in a timely manner.
If you accumulate six or more demerit points within a 12-month period, you will receive a warning letter from the DMV.